Today is Friday 13th February.
For some, it is a day of bad omens that will be plagued by bad luck.
For others it is a glorious payday that allows us to live like we were rockstars.
It’s a day where parents are enjoying the extra joy emotions that come with having your children home on mid-term break when you still have to go to work (awesome-sauce).
PLUS, there are actually people counting the hours and minutes to it being tomorrow; because a magic fairy comes and leaves flowers and candy and teddy bears for half of the population that kiss the other half consensually. The other half don’t tend to get anything…but then they have enough already. They have swag.
BUT for many it is just another Saturday (or a Sad why-am-I-still-Single Saturday if you haven’t filled your melodramatic quota for the week).
Personally, I intend to enjoy a 5-step gamer love-fest and encourage you to join me.
- LOVE YOURSELF ENOUGH TO BE HEALTHY. If the fittest person in your house is the character on screen…you have a problem. At the very least consider excess load screens as an opportunity to get “gamer sit-ups” in.
- LOVE YOUR ROOTS. Your children really shouldn’t be playing your M-rated titles. If they suddenly want to grab a controller, grab an old school title and share your childhood.
- LOVE MODERATION. Pledge to try a new title. Start on one of the free downloads that you never got around to then move to your current obsession. It gives you a natural opportunity to grab a bathroom break and a sandwich!
- LOVE GAMER THINGS IN REAL LIFE. Go outside and take a walk. I try to spot (and snap a picture) of things that remind me of in-game moments. (Maybe I’ll share one day). Who knows what else you may run into when you get yourself some sun. Maybe not someone that makes you go but at least
- LOVE YOUR CHOICES. Live every day (especially this weekend) in a way that makes you happy and doesn’t hurt anyone else. Don’t hate on what others do and don’t be ashamed to admit that you love the things you love (Like I can proudly say I don’t think I’ll watch a single thing that doesn’t have subtitles this weekend…but I’m sure you guys can admit to loving better stuff…)
I won’t pretend the world is always kind…but I like to believe that (at least in the Carib Gamer Community)…we are always kind (of Awesome!). So quite frankly I don’t care how you feel about Friday the 13th or February 14th cause in my world…I’m lucky enough to love video games…and anime…and manga…and subtitled asian shows…and the amazing people that translate them…and all things tech…and… … …